Friday, April 17, 2009

My Fav Film Reporter (riffing off State of Play)

I'm talking about reporters on the big screen today as I review State of Play, the new movie starring Russell Crowe.


That got me thinking about who is my favourite on screen journalist. There are lots to choose from. The Paper. (Michael Keaton!) Broadcast News. All the President's Men. It Happened One Night. But for me it will always be Jennifer Jason Leigh in The Hudsucker Proxy.





She plays Amy Archer, almost a parody of the Hepburn-like fast talking dames of the 1950s where this picture takes place.



If you don't know it, this is the Coen Brothers at their zaniest. I of course love it. And when I think of reporters, I'll always think of the Amy Archer, the fast-talkin' Pulitzer-winning crackerjack of a character.





If you want to see exactly what I'm talking about take a listen to this scene from The Hudsucker Proxy. (Starts 4.22 in)


For more on State of Play check out my Podcast by searching for "Glasner on Film" in iTunes or on the CBC Podcasting index here.

Oh, and State of Play... (in case you don't feel like following links)...I liked it. It's a lot better than the by-the-numbers trailer suggests.

No comments: